Thursday, August 2, 2012

Favorites from "Bogey Nights"

I have always been fascinated with the 30's and 40's eras. I think it's mainly the clothes that I love - I love vintage styles - but there is an air of simplicity and goodness that exudes from that time period. Now I know most of that is being able to look back on a time I never had to live through and think their problems were less somehow. I think most of us realize the problems in a different era were different, not any better or worse. Pamela seems to realize this at one point in Bogey Nights, giving the ephemeral ideal of past times a more realistic look. 


I enjoyed how MrGraw was able to pull from the 40s time period and still keep it relevant and current. There was enough of the 40's to make the mystery interesting, but for the most part, not so much that it was overwhelming. McGraw really plays up the language of the 40's, but the dress and war time aspects play a big part as well. It's a fun mix of past an present. 


Bogey Nights is available now from Amazon in Paperback and EbookBarnes and NobleFictionwise, and Books-A-Million

6 comments:

  1. Like language of that era best. Fun slang easily understood. Bogey was an ugly guy compared to Chris Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jake. Thanks for stopping in. And you saw Chris Cross when? LOL He's a dead ringer for the real Bogey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like language of that era best. Fun slang easily understood. Bogey was an ugly guy compared to Chris Cross.

    Saw him yesterday at the crap table with his dogs. Fedora was on table about to be lost to a fellow in tuxedo. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake, You do have an interesting imagination, and I can see why you like the Bogey books. Did I mention that I have a Fedora? I don't look like Bogey though--I hope.

      Delete
  4. I will definitely be adding "Bogey Nights" to my TBR list!
    When I read "Bogey's Ace in the Hole," I often felt like I was back in the 30s/40s because Marja has a talent for drawing a reader into the story and making them feel like they're really there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Pat! My husband says I'm pretty good at dredging up the past. :) Fortunately, it works in the books.

    ReplyDelete