Thursday, July 4, 2013

Review: Waltzing with the Wallflower

Twin brothers, Ambrose and Anthony, seem to be dedicated bachelor's, turning every Season into a game for their amusement. Bored to tears with the current batch of polite society, a bet is struck. Turn this year's wallflower, a young woman who's family name has been drug through the mud, into the most sought after woman in town. 

I have never been much for short stories, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. At only 75 pages, I wondered whether it could really draw me in. I have to say that this was a lovely book. I did not expect to connect with the characters so quickly and truly care about what happened to them in so few pages. 

The brothers, Ambrose and Anthony, are quite entertaining. The authors captured the air of two privileged and bored young men very well. I enjoyed both of the brothers, but each one was unique from the other. Ambrose slowly beginning to fall for the wallflower they made the bet around, Cordelia, yet finding himself unable to admit her feelings was very well done. The authors planned the emotional ups and down nicely. 

Cordelia herself was delightful as well. She is trying so very hard at the beginning of the book to avoid notice and just survive the Season unscathed. Her surprise at being sought out by the twins and then her trying to figure out how to deal with all the attention that produces was quite charming. 

The romance between Ambrose and Cordelia was very sweet. There is plenty of tension and drama, especially when Cordelia's honor is called into question. I enjoyed watching each of the characters change and grow over such a short time. This is a very clean book, one I would be happy to pass on to my nieces. 

Waltzing with the Wallflower is available now from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment