Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Summer of Interviews: Don Caplin

Today I'm pleased to welcome Don Caplin!

1.     What was your inspiration for your book? Can you tell us about how your own experiences influenced this story?

Traveling down the Mass Turnpike one day, I saw a billboard that displayed a biblical quote: “God has given each of us the ability to do certain things well.” -Kings.

That is the inspiration for writing a book about a client who goes to a sports psychologist to find a sport he is good at.

2.     Would you classify this series as plot driven or character driven?

Neither one.

3.     Can you tell us a little about your main characters?

The narrator is a sports psychologist.  He describes the main character: “Linus didn’t look or move like an athlete.  In the first place, he appeared in his fifties, an age when you’ve either made it or retired.  And he had a slight paunch and double-chin; a marathoner he was not.”

4.     Without giving away too much, tell us about the main conflict.

Linus puts it this way: "I don’t know what my sport is.  That’s why I’m here: to discover it.  You see, I’ve tried various sports all my life, and haven’t been very good at any of them.  But I feel I have a champion in me, and I’m here to find out in what sport that is."

5.     What do you hope readers take away from this book?

I think one of my readers put it best: “This book is a very feel-good read.  It should restore the morale of just about anyone who's feeling down.”
-Riva Poor, Professional Problem-Solver.  Author, “4 Days, 40 Hours:

6.     What song best describes your writing style?

“Pkck a little, talk a little” from “The Music  Man”?

7.     Night Owl or Early Bird?

I do most of my writing after my wife has gone to sleep. (I do show her the product.)

 8.     Skittle or M&Ms?

 As “one of the country’s oldest first-time publisher novelists,” I’m an old-fashioned guy.  My candy tastes haven’t changed since my youth, so M&Ms.

9.     Who are your favorite authors?

My former teacher, Frederick Buechner, and other teacher’s son, John Irving, though neither would endorse my book.  Also the late Michael Palmer, who did write a blurb.

10.  Can you tell us about any other future projects?

I’m not writing anything right now, but hope to get other previously-written works published.


You can Find Don and his books here:
http://home.comcast.net/~kcfl/site/
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment