Thursday, April 18, 2013

Interview: Erika Kathryn

Welcome to Erika Kathryn! Let's learn more about her novel, Audie the Angel and the Angel Army. 


1. What was you inspiration for this book? 
When I started writing this and getting interested in Angels, I realized with Harry Potter there were suddenly a lot of kids running around wearing round-rimmed glasses, scars on their foreheads, Hogwarts cloaks, and believing in magic.  And I remember thinking to myself, what if there were kids running around wearing halos and wings and believing in Heaven?  It wouldn’t be such a bad thing!  So honestly the inspiration was children and the desire to interest them in something really virtuous and wholesome.  

2. Would you classify your writing as plot driven or character driven? 
I think it is more plot driven, however, in Audie the Angel Volume 2—that will be coming out soon, in May 2013—there is a lot more depth added to some of the characters themselves.  I also call it an “ensemble cast” because there is a team of main characters.     

3. Can you tell us a little about your main character?
The interesting thing about Audie the Angel is that Audie is obviously the main character, however the narrator is Cave.  And so, in a lot of ways there are two main characters.  It makes it challenging to write at times, but I also wanted to keep it interesting for both genders and not limit the audience to only females.  When I hear reviews or get feedback on it, it’s very interesting the different points of view on who is the “main character” between Audie and Cave.   The best part about writing and developing Audie is that she gets to grow and mature and become more confident throughout the series.  Also, Cave will be doing the same…in his own way.  

4. Which of your supporting characters was the most challenging to write?
In Audie the Angel:  Volume 2 I added a new Character that is very personal to me and I think that was the toughest to write so far; just because she is based on a real person and I want to make sure I do her justice.  

5. Without giving away too much, tell us a little about the main conflict in this book. 
In Volume 1 there is an Evil Angel that is essentially trying to conquer Heaven and seize control of the Angels, Fairies, Animals, and Souls!  He is strategic and goes after the strong, older Angels first, so a team of young Angels—called the Angel Army—is assembled to stand against him.  They are the last line of defense and are able to get through challenges they face using teamwork and their individual powers.        

6. Why did you choose this genre? 
There is so much literature nowadays in the Young Adult genre and of course, as ever a lot in the Adult, I haven’t seen as much geared towards Middle Grade and I think it is very needed.   Children also tend to read-up in age so in other words 8-9 year-olds may be reading books with characters that are 12-years-old.  So I think there is a wide range of ages that would find this book series fun and for that reason I chose it!    

7. What do you hope readers take away from this book? 
My hope is that it will evoke a wide range of emotions in the reader; there are parts that will make you laugh, parts that may make you sad, and parts that should make your heart race!  Although it has Angels in it there is no mention at all about Religion and absolutely zero profanity.  Being a mother I can tell you that nowadays the YA books are filled with adult content, so I think that’s what sets this series apart from others.  

8. Who are your favorite authors?
Nia Vardalos and J.K. Rowling.  Although I will say…I have given lots of thought lately to the question “Are you a writer or a reader?”  Because you definitely have to choose at times in order to have the hours to put into your own writing.   

9. Do you have any interesting rituals or habits when you write?
I don’t think that I do, although I am told that I am a complete zombie when I am deeply involved in writing.  I have the capability to tune-out every single thing around me and just focus.  This has been tested that things can happen all around me without me being the slightest bit aware.  So I’m not sure it’s a very good “talent” that I have!  

10. Can you tell us about any future projects? 
Outside of all three Audie the Angel Volumes that I am working on, I also have written a Chick Lit novel.  I am working hard to partner with an agent on it, so I won’t reveal what it’s about but please “friend” me on Facebook and stay tuned!  

Audie the Angel is available from Amazon.
Connect with Erika online at: Facebook Website Goodreads * YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment