Thursday, April 11, 2013

Interview: Mary Montague Sikes

Let's get to know a little more about Mary Montague Sikes' book, Night Watch


1. What was you inspiration for this book?  A trip we took to Trinidad a few years ago. The off-shore island where we stayed became the setting for this story. The people there were amazing, and it is one of the most memorable trips of my lifetime.

2. Would you classify your writing as plot driven of character driven? Character driven because I like to place my main characters in a setting (often exotic for the Passenger to Paradise series), then watch the characters develop and grow.

3. Can you tell us a little about your main character? Lily, the main character in Night Watch, is recovering from abandonment and loss.  To aid her recovery, she travels to Trinidad to start a new and different life as a photo-journalist. Then, things start to happen that she doesn't understand. People mistake her for someone else, and she has memories that she doesn't understand.

4. Which of your supporting characters was the most challenging to write? I don't know that any were challenging, but I enjoyed the quirkiness of Gwen. For me, a quirky character brings life to a story. I love the quirky woman in NCIS who has the crazy hairstyle and lots of unusual traits. I wanted a little of that for Gwen.

5. Without giving away too much, tell us a little about the main conflict in this book. Besides the real danger that surrounds Lily from the moment she lands in Trinidad, there is her emotional and internal conflict that develops throughout the story.

6. Why did you choose this genre? I love story with a touch of the unexplained in them. I can't call them paranormal because people think of werewolves and vampires. My books are nothing like that. My first book, Hearts Across Forever, was a reincarnation story. That's the type of paranormal I enjoy. Books with astrology and psychic readings intrigue me. They are not paranormal in the sense of shape-changers, etc.

7. What do you hope readers take away from this book? A journey and new knowledge of an exotic destination—Trinidad. Wonder about the fascinating dragonfly. A question—What about "walk-ins"?

8. Who are your favorite authors? I have little time to read. When I do, I enjoy books by Dianne Chamberlain. I used to enjoy Lavyrl Spenser, but she retired long ago.

9. Do you have any interesting rituals or habits when you write? Not really. I love the ritual of one author who puts on a purple hat when she's writing and doesn't want to be disturbed. I have my own quiet upstairs office overlooking the woods and the creek, so I'm seldom disturbed. The trees inspire me.

10. Can you tell us about any future projects? I'm working on a story that begins in the Bahamas and continues in Maryland and Virginia. My main character is an interior designer, and I'm looking forward to watching her develop and grow. I love it when characters take over the book and tell their own stories.




Night Watch is available now from Amazon and Barnes and Noble

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, what a nice interview! Your book sounds lovely. Hope you have much success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and supporting Mary, Sally! I hope you get a chance to read Night Watch in between writing and editing :)

      Delete