Sunday, February 3, 2013

Interview: Nadia Bashoo

Today, I have a special interview to share with my readers. Nadia Bashoo is here talking about her newest novel, Sacrifice. This isn't your typical vampire romance novel. Keep reading to find out more. 


1. What was your inspiration for “Sacrifice?” The inspiration for Sacrifice came about during a weekly phone call with a friend. I was reading a vampire novel and she was reading a book about someone dying of a terrible disease. I hit upon the idea of combining the two and so Sacrifice was born.

2. Can you tell us a little about the world Lysander lives in? Lysander divides his time between the human world and a hidden realm where supernatural creatures of all sorts hide out to avoid discovery. Most supernatural species are nearing extinction and it’s their last safe haven. 

3. What is it about Karen that Lysander finds so unique? Firstly, I should point out that this isn’t a vampire romance. In order for Lysander to be cured, someone must die, but they must do so willingly. Karen is more compassionate than most, and Lysander believes she may help him but any kindness he shows her has an ulterior motive. At the end of the day, he plans to kill her. He’s no Edward Cullen. 

4. Most humans and supernatural beings fear Lysander. How does Karen view him? At first with sympathy, but when she learns the truth with horror. I wanted to write a realistic novel in which the human views the vampire with suspicion and mistrust rather than with romantic adoration. It makes the whole book less predictable. Will Karen sacrifice herself for Lysander or won’t she? Why would she sacrifice herself for someone she doesn’t love? 

5. What was the first piece of fiction you ever wrote? I wrote short stories from being little. My first novel was an adult romance whose title I can’t even remember. It was dreadful and I deleted it. 

6. Can you tell us about your road to publishing, the ups, downs, and everything in between? My first novel ‘The Appointed’ was published with Pen Press. It was supposed to be a partnership deal. In return for a fee, they would publish my book and help market it. Probably no one but me will be surprised to hear that they took my money and gave me no promotion whatsoever. I decided to terminate my contract and go it alone. ‘Sacrifice was published first, followed by the Hand of Destiny series: Book 1, ‘The Appointed and Book 2, ‘The Betrayer’. All three were published as ebooks using the free publishing service offered by Amazon and Smashwords, an online distribution site. Self publishing is a lonely game. There’s no one in your corner and all the leg work is down to you. I’m still hoping for that big publishing deal one day, but in the meantime, my novels are out there for anyone who wants to read them. 

7. What is the hardest part about writing for you? Planning. I’m terrible at it. I have a basic idea in mind, but no more. It makes for interesting writing, but can lead to periods of writer’s block. I always know how a book ends in advance though. 

8. Do you have any interesting rituals or habits when you write? No, I just sit down and go where the story takes me. 

9. Who are your favorite authors? I have so many. I love Cassandra Clare and Philip Pullman, also Rick Riordan and JK Rowling. They’re all amazing story-tellers. 

10. Can you tell us about any future projects? My latest novel ‘Wolfsong is due for release in February. I try to make every novel I write different. I’m currently working on the first of what I hope will be a Trilogy set in Camelot during and after the reign of King Arthur. I’m also working on a dystopian series and a novel set around the legend of Pandora’s box. 

Connect with Nadia online at:

You can pick up your copy of Sacrifice now from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords

11 comments:

  1. I am not normally a fan of supernatural books but this one intrigues me. I love romance books. I like that the author works so hard on her books including self promoting. I hope she gets a big book deal. Excellent interview.

    I can't believe she deleted her first book. All that hard work, I bet it was as bad as she thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant, it wasn't as bad as she thought LOL. My brain is faster than my fingers.

      Delete
    2. I figured that was what you meant. I think most authors have probably done that. I know I did! Thanks for stopping by Dree!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read! Good for Nadia for going for it by self publishing! Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie authors are really gaining a lot of ground! Thanks for stopping by Cynthia.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a awesome book! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever twist. The cover photo does look like Edward Cullen, don't you think? I really enjoyed this interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing about the photo! It's attention grabbing :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I like vampire novels that are a bit out of the ordinary - and it sounds like this one fits that profile perfectly! Thanks for the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was intrigued, too. It's nice to see a different take on a familiar mythical creature. Thanks for stopping by, Cody!

      Delete