Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Guest Post: Ann Everett

Ann Everett is here today talking about what inspired her wonderful characters and the town they call home. Keep reading to find out more! 

"LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

When I was going up in Brownsboro, Texas, I thought the world stopped at the city limits. I couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to live anywhere else. Maybe it was my lack of imagination or simply my love of small town life. But whatever the reason, I look back now and wonder— what the heck was I thinking?
I lived in Brownsboro until 1967 at which time it had a population of about 400. Today, its population is slightly over a thousand.

Both of my humorous, romance, mysteries, LAID OUT AND CANDLE LIT, and YOU’RE BUSTING MY NUPTIALS, take place in Brownsboro. It’s located half-way between Tyler and Athens, Texas, on Hwy. 31. Unless the route you’re traveling takes you down Hwy. 31, you’ll miss Brownsboro, because you’ll use I-20 and by-pass the small town with one main street and two red lights.

 It’s my feeble attempt to put it on the map…literally. Some maps don’t show it, it’s just too small. Of course there are hundreds of towns in Texas like that.

So, many of the scenes in my books are taken from locations and a mixture of characters I’ve known…and know. Some of the silly sayings I use are things I’ve heard all my life. Such as:
When that woman dies, she’ll be deader than everybody else….Pattiecake, Laid Out and Candle Lit

I’d rather be stung to death by a bunch of piss ants…Synola Harper, You’re Busting My Nuptials
Nobody don’t like no bone, even a dog will bury it every time…Eldora, You’re Busting My Nuptials

Many of the names I use in my books are from my family. Pattiecake and Sugarpie are based on me and my sister. Of course, it’s fiction, so I made us younger and with bigger boobs. We actually go by those names. That’s what our grandchildren call us, and now just about everyone else. 

Sheriff Dan McAlister is based on my brother, Dan, who was in law enforcement for many years. Saint McAlister, Tizzy and Dan’s dad, is based on my real daddy, who went by the nickname Saint. Most people didn’t know his real name was actually William.
I always find it funny when someone mentions cliché’s found in a Texas novel. Texas is one big cliché! People in small towns really do talk exactly the way I have them talking in my books. Not so much in Dallas or other metropolitan areas, but small town folks still talk twang and I find it funny as all get out! 

Laid Out and Candle Lit and You’re Busting My Nuptials are the first and second installments of the Tizzy/Ridge Trilogy. The third and final book will revolve around the “real” girls from my graduating class at Brownsboro High School…GO BEARS! There were 16 of us and I’m excited to include them in the final book of this series.

I’m having a contest to name the third book. Please go to my website, www.anneverett.com and read the first chapter, then email me with your entry. I’ve already had several suggestions and I’d love to have more. You won’t win a big prize, but if you win, you’ll get credit in the book.
If you have questions concerning Brownsboro or my books, please feel free to contact me. ann.everett@rocketmail.com"

Check out Ann's books today!

LAID OUT AND CANDLE LIT
YOU’RE BUSTING MY NUPTIALS


Excerpt from You're Busting My Nuptials


Tizzy knocked back the rest of the drink and
thought of every possible scenario for Ridge’s absence.
Wrong church? There was only one Methodist
Church in town. Flat tire? He lived close enough to
walk to the ceremony. Cell phone gone dead? Two
land lines were at his disposal. Heart attack? The
chance of that couldn’t be high, but it would definitely
be the best excuse.
“No, Rayann. It’s been over an hour. He isn’t
answering his phone. Daddy went to his house. His
truck’s gone. He’s not coming.” She started to pace.
Her bare feet sank into the deep carpet, a small comfort
against the ache the rest of her body was suffering.
“What’s wrong with me? My first husband joined the
Marines to get away and now Ridge doesn’t show up
for our wedding. Am I that bad?”
Rayann fell in beside Tizzy and matched her
pace. They zigzagged across the room like a band
formation during a half-time show. “C’mon, Tiz. It
has nothing to do with you. Boone enlisted to avoid
Marlene. You know better than anybody what a witch
his sister was. He didn’t want to spend his life working
with her at the bank.”
Tizzy stopped at a small table and stared down
at her wedding invitation. James Ridge Cooper and
Marjorie Louise “Tizzy” Donovan, request the honor
of your presence.
Up until an hour ago, it had been a perfect day.
There’d not been a cloud in the sky. The sun shone
across a heaven of endless blue, and the temperature
hovered in the upper sixties. It held promise of being
one of the best days of Tizzy’s life and now was turning
out to be one of her worst.



21 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good book. Will have to pick it up, I love to read. I hope all turns out well though :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Dawn. It's a fabulous book! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Dawn,
      Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment. I love to write humor, so if you like to read it, I think my book will be a good fit for you.
      ~Ann

      Delete
  2. The book sounds really interesting. Will have to check it out .

    Dominique @Dominique's Desk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is very funny, with a great story as well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Dominique,
      Thanks so much for commenting on my post. If you read my book, I'd love to hear from you.
      ~Ann

      Delete
  3. Sounds like lively fiction! I love the bit about making you and your sister younger and well-endowed, lol! That's the advantage of fiction - I'll have to remember that when I get around to my novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? Ann does a great job of using real life to create a great story! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Columba,
      Yes, the beauty of fiction is we can make ourselves everything we want to be!! Thank you for spending time with my post and commenting.
      ~Ann

      Delete
  4. A promising read! Will check this one out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hello Czjai,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment on my post.
      ~Ann

      Delete
  5. This sounds like such a fun series!
    I love your titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to! Her titles are always lively and fun, just like the books. Thanks for stopping by Gina.

      Delete
    2. Hi Gina,
      Thanks for taking time to read and comment on my post. I had the titles for both books before I wrote them...however, I don't for the third one. If you have an idea, head over to my website and suggest one. I'm having a contest to name the next book.
      ~Ann

      Delete
  6. Having read Laid Out and Candle Lit, I can honestly say I can hardly WAIT to read You're Busting My Nuptials. Ann Everett has a real knack for humor and description. Once you pick up her books, you can't put them down. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I enjoyed both books quite a bit. Thanks for stopping by, Patty.

      Delete
    2. Hello, Patty.
      Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the kind words. Hope to see you soon.
      ~Ann

      Delete
  7. I would love to read it. Sounds very interesting.
    Patty - I would love to read them all now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books are great, and I'm waiting impatiently for the third book, as well. Thanks for stopping by, Khloe.

      Delete
    2. Hi Khloe,
      If you read my books, I'd love to hear from you and what you thought of them. I always like to hear from readers and what they like and don't like about my stories. Thank you for taking the time to comment.
      ~Ann

      Delete